News

Posted on 18. Sep, 2007 by in News

CLERICAL CHANGES                                                                                                                                   Bishop Joseph Duffy has announced the following appointments for the Diocese of Clogher which will take effect from 1 September 2007: Monsignor Sean Cahill, PP, Enniskillen to retire as PP and to continue as Administrator of St Michael’s Diocesan and Education Trusts (NI). Rev Joseph McGuinness,  St Michael’s College,  to be PP, […]

Bishop of the Diocese of Clogher

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

Cináeth Ua Baígill ( – 1135)   Gilla Críst Ua Morgair  (1135 – 1138)   Áed Ua Cáellaide (1138 – 1178)   Mael Ísu Ua Cerbaill (1178 – 1186/7)   Gilla Críst Ua Mucaráin (c.1187 – 1193)   Máel Ísu Ua Máel Chiaráin (1194 – 1197)   Gilla Tigernaig Mac Gilla Rónáin (c.1197 – 1218) […]

Institution

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

Monaghan as a site for the diocesan college (Clones had been considered) had long term implications. It meant that in due course the bishop’s residence and cathedral would also be in Monaghan. And on the death of Dean Bellew, parish priest of Monaghan, at a great age, in 1851, Bishop MacNally took Monaghan as a […]

Clergy and Politics

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

By the end of the eighteenth century the worst of the Penal Laws had been repealed. But at parish and county level, not to look further, power was firmly in the hands of the landlord. He had the giving of a site for the chapel and of a lease to the priest of the farm […]

After 1800

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

Diocesan and parish life was functioning again reasonably wel1 around 1800. There were 36 or 37 parish priests, including a Dominican and a Franciscan, and 18 curates, including five regulars. In four or five parishes the annual revenue was over £100; in four parishes less than £50. The bishop visited the parishes and administered Confirmation […]

Penal-day Bishop

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

In the first half of the eighteenth century Clogher diocese was ruled in turn by Hugh, Brian and Ross MacMahon, natives of Dartry and closely related. In turn they became archbishops of Armagh. Hugh is buried in Drogheda in an unmarked grave. Brian and Ross, who were brothers, lie buried in Edergole in their native […]

Plantation or Dispossession

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

When Henry VIII was proclaimed by Parliament head of the Church, first in England and later in Ireland, many people, including some bishops, did not recognise that this was schism. Had not the Pope given Henry the title ‘Defender of the Faith’? Later the Council of Trent (1545?63) helped to clarify the issues and had […]

The New Reform

Posted on 17. Sep, 2007 by in History

A new element entered the religious life of the people with the introduction of the Friars Minor. MacMahon had founded a house for them in Monaghan in 1462; but it was more than a century later that Maguire established them in Lisgoole in Fermanagh. The influence of the Donegal convent (1474) was powerful, not only […]

History

Posted on 14. Sep, 2007 by in Cathedral

The diocese of Clogher, like all Irish dioceses, goes back to the great reforms of the twelfth century. These reforms, spearheaded by St Malachy and St Laurence O’Toole, set up the structures of the Church in Ireland as we know them today. The extent of each diocese was initially agreed by fixing a number of […]

Architecture

Posted on 14. Sep, 2007 by in Cathedral

McCarthy is generally regarded as the foremost Irish church architect of his day. He was caught up in the contemporary vogue of reviving medieval Gothic architecture in church buildings. This undoubtedly imposed on his work a style which belonged to another age, but it does not mean that his designs were lifeless imitations. When we […]

                   

    new_heart_new_spirit

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

×