The Catholic Communications Office wishes to communicate that His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI:
- has accepted the resignation of Most Reverend Joseph Duffy, Bishop of Clogher,
in accord with canon 401,1 of the Code of Canon Law,
2. has appointed Rt Rev Liam Seán MacDaid as Bishop of Clogher,
who until now has been Chancellor of the Diocese,
3. has accepted the resignation of Most Reverend Francis Lagan,
Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Derry in accord with canon 411 and 401,1 of the
Code of Canon Law.
These announcements were made today in Rome at 12:00 local time (11:00am Irish time).
Biography of Rt Reverend Liam Seán MacDaid:
- Born Bundoran, Co Donegal 19 July 1945.
- Attended St Louis Infant School , Bundoran, St Macartan’s National School , Bundoran, St Macartan’s College, Monaghan.
- Entered St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, as a seminarian for the Diocese of Clogher 1962.
- Graduated with honours in Celtic Studies, Maynooth ( National University ) 1965.
- Graduated with honours in Sacred Theology, Maynooth ( Pontifical University ) 1968.
- Ordained priest for the Diocese of Clogher 15 June 1969.
- Took Higher Diploma in Education with honours, Maynooth ( National University ) 1970.
- Member of staff in St Macartan’s College 1970.
- Took Diploma in Counselling at University College Dublin 1978.
- Tutor in Counselling with Catholic Marriage Advisory Council.
- President St Macartan’s College, Monaghan 1981.
- Founding member of AMCSS (Association of Management of Catholic Secondary Schools).
- Chairman, Council of Priests, Diocese of Clogher (1988 – 1996).
- Curate (Assistant Priest) in parish of Aghavea/Aghintaine, Northern Ireland 1989.
- Administrator, Parish of Tyholland 1993.
- Diocesan Secretary and Diocesan Communications Officer since 1993.
- Chancellor of the Diocese since 1994.
- Chaplain to His Holiness with the title of Monsignor 2002.